6/23/2010

Explore “I Saw You” ads


Have you ever seen a stranger you would have liked to talk to, but then something – a lack of time, the awkwardness of the moment, or simply your shy personality – prevented you from doing so? Apparently this happens to many people in Vancouver because there is an entire section in Vancouver’s famous Georgia Straight newspaper devoted to just that. It is called the “I Saw You,” and it helps people to say in an anonymous message that which they could not say in person. The messages can be love letters, thank you notes, or simply expressions of admiration! They always include a description of the target individual and the date on which they were spotted. The ultimate purpose of an “I Saw You” is to get the attention of the person described, in the hopes of meeting them once again!

In the Insider’s Guide to Vancouver workshop, the students wrote their own messages in the style of a Vancouver “I Saw You.” They were allowed to write one about anyone in the program. Up to you to guess who each message is talking about!


Yes, it could be YOU !
- Andréa

My strong viking
It wasn’t the first time that I had met you, but somehow I saw you in a different light that day. I had seen you in Victoria, a leader amongst your peers, improvising as a guide with your impressive historical knowledge. I know all about your love of Irish and Scottish pubs and how you like to taste all kinds of scotch and whiskey, as well as how it sometimes makes you do crazy things, such as locking yourself out of your room naked. But today, as you were doing your homework seated on the grass, you looked different. The sun was shining through your beard and you reminded me of a strong and fierce Viking. I hope that the sun made you see me in a different way too.

Homework in the Sun
It was not the first time I’d seen you ... We actually share the same workshop! But last Thursday I felt that we really connected! You were sitting on a bench in Place Vanier’s courtyard, and I was sitting on the ground right on the other side of the tree. We were both doing our homework at the same time, in the same place and for the same reason: to fully enjoy the sun. Isn’t that a sign? You even smiled at me. Hoooo... you’re so beautiful with your long blonde hair. I hope that next week we will do our homework together again. I need to be close to you. I need you! I want you...
Your #1 fan, the bearded one.

Angelina Jolie
The first time I saw you, you were standing in front of me -- beautiful, with your long curly hair and your lips looking like those of Angelina Jolie! You were there with your three suitcases waiting to register them and obtain your ticket for Vancouver. You seemed so happy to travel and meet new people. Since I’ve known you, you’ve always smiled and talked with everybody around you!

Glass of wine?
I saw you on a cold, wet and damp day. I was nervous. However, the light of your energy filled my day with heat. Since the day that I first met you, you've made me laugh. I love your experience and your critical thinking. I know you are really good at speaking English and I am just learning, but can I still invite you over for a glass of red wine in a comfortable place ? It seems to me that you are the person that I want to know in Vancouver. Coffee, cigarette and a discussion?

Ike's Cafe friend
The first time I met you, I thought you seemed like a serious person, but my opinion changed rapidly when I heard you talking in our class. At this moment, I understood that you are actually a very funny individual. I really like your sense of humour. You are so open minded and I think you’ll make a great psychologist. Now, we always go for dinner together at Ike’s Café and I hope I’ll have the opportunity to discover the city of Vancouver with you.
- Your Explore friend with the brown jacket and the orange socks…

Flying to Vancouver

I first saw you in the airplane on the way to Vancouver, but I did not know that you were also coming to the Explore program because I had decided to come two days before the start of the program. You were in the seat beside the window and I was in the aisle seat in the same number line. Maybe we will be on the same flight home ?
- Your flight companion

Your Perfect Smile!
When I saw you with your perfect smile, your curly brown hair and your athletic body I wondered if we would become good friends. It was funny to see you with all your grocery bags and with your eyes asking for kind help. Sadly, no one came -- your smile disappeared suddenly and my heart fell. I ran to you to grab two big bags and it was like a rainbow in my day when our hands came close together. It was such an amazing feeling to know that we were in the same building.
- Your Mawdsley friend

Beach Babe!
I saw you Saturday at the beach. You have long blond hair, blue eyes, and you are very beautiful. You were wearing purple and playing beach volleyball with some friends.
- Your Explore admirer

Magical dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory
The first time I saw you we were sharing the same bus to go to the Old Spaghetti Factory. We talked for a long time. Your very curly hair and your smile charmed me within the first minutes of our conversation. Now, whenever I see you I am so happy! I hope it’s the same thing for you and I hope you want to be my friend! If you don’t want to become my friend, my heart will be broken!

I saw you in the lounge…
I saw you in the 4th floor lounge of Mawdsley on Saturday the 29th of May. We were playing cards and you were teaching us the 101 rules of the game called “Asshole.” You were funny because you were adding new rules every five minutes. When we played “Spoon” (with forks), you wanted to get one so badly that you accidentally made them all fly across the room. Good thing that they were made of plastic! I will see you at our next cards night on the 4th floor !

Want a hot chocolate?
I saw you for the first time at the airport and we ended up taking the same plane to Vancouver. That very day, we went to the grocery store and we got lost on the UBC campus on our way back to the residences. You like clubbing, children and everything that contains chocolate. You are very sociable and you live near Chicoutimi. Can you guess who I am?
-The man sitting at the back

Spectacled Stud
The first time I saw you was at the assembly for the Explore English Program, which was held in the Hennings building at 12h00. You were wearing glasses, blue jeans, a white shirt and you were sitting in the back of the room. It was my first day of the program. The second time I saw you was in the same building, but the event was different. The entire English program was attending an improvisation skit performed by group 7, but just prior to this event you had introduced us to a security man who spoke about safety on campus.

Cute Girl in the McDo
I met you at the McDonald's restaurant in the University Village. Your dark chocolate skin had blown me away. You looked as if you had high self-esteem, acting like a Queen Bee. Your confidence caught me off guard and I was too shy to come and talk to you. You’re the only “ghetto girl” I have met who doesn’t know how to rap, so if you need some private classes, feel free to let me know!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire